imperfect beauty //

6:25 PM



every mistake seems 
to be branded
in my mind.
why can't i do
anything 
right?
my first tries
make me never
want to try again.
i expect perfection,
demand that
i always create
beauty.
but all i get
for my efforts
are canvases
smeared with
bold reminders of
my imperfection.
it's so h a r d.
i don't want to 
see those
glaring mistakes.
but maybe 
life isn't about
being flawless.
if it was, 
there would be no
need for grace.
love.
mercy.
forgiveness.
everyone makes
mistakes--
that's part of 
being 
human.
but it's what
we do
with those
mistakes that really
matters.

I'm that person who always wants to get it right on the first try--whether that be painting, writing, making decisions, or growing in my faith. But the mistakes we make don't "ruin" anything. They're the things that teach us how to make a masterpiece.

(P.S. Sorry for the late post! I was busy finishing up Camp NaNo.)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. 'The mistakes we make don't 'ruin' anything. They're the things that teach us how to make a masterpiece. '
    hmygoodness Mary this is so beautiful and relateable and EVERYTHING. <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek, thank you so much, Hannah! <3 Honestly, people quoting something I've said makes me feel like a best-selling author or something, lol. ;)

      Delete
  2. CAN I JUST HUG THIS POST FOREVER??? YESSSSS. I always get SO mad at myself for being so mistake prone, for never being able to get anything right the first try. But I'll quote the same part Hannah did: "But the mistakes we make don't "ruin" anything. They're the things that teach us how to make a masterpiece." YES, YES, YESSSS.

    Thank you for writing these beautiful words, Mary. They're so important. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ONLY IF YOU LET ME HUG YOU FOREVER. <3

      YES it's so good to know I'm not the only one. I was getting sooooo frustrated with myself the other day when I kept "messing up" my watercolor paintings. It's such an insignificant thing, but it made me realize how many things I DO pick on myself for.

      THANK YOU, DEAR!!! I'm really glad you enjoyed. <3

      Delete
  3. Wow you worded this so beautifully. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you thought so. ^_^

      Delete
  4. I read this a while ago, and I haven't commented because I haven't had any words.
    "but all i get/for my efforts/are canvases/smeared with/bold reminders of/my imperfection." I don't know why, but this line really resonated with me. You feel this way though! But somehow that canvas is still beautiful.
    Thanks for posting, I love your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *clutches heart* You are such an encouragement, Hanna. Truly. It brings a smile to my face whenever I see your comments appear.

      I'm so glad you enjoy my poetry! It's a new thing for me this year, and I'm really enjoying how freeing it is. :)

      Delete